- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 50 min
A little preparation is all it takes to make these stuffed pepper that will fill you up instead of out.
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Boil 1-1/3 cups water in a saucepan; add quinoa. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Keep covered; set aside.
- Remove pepper tops, stems, and seeds. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers; boil for 5 minutes, and drain.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add carrots; cook for 3 minutes. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in spinach and beans. Remove from heat and mix in quinoa and chili powder.
- Fill peppers with quinoa mixture and place upright in a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Add just enough water to form a very thin layer in the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Serve immediately.