- Prep: 60 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
A food super-high in protein, quinoa is extremely nutritious and offers a change of pace from other grains. Quinoa and Bean Salad is colorful and delicious.
- 1-1/2 cups of frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/3 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1, 15-ounce can of great northern beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup of diced fresh tomato
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4-5 drops of hot pepper sauce
- 4 leaf lettuce leaves
- In a medium saucepan, combine the green beans, water and quinoa. Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer until the water is absorbed (about 12-15 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the quinoa mixture. Add the great northern (or black) beans and onions and the tomato. Mix together. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, basil, salt, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Whisk together well. Refrigerate until you're ready to serve the salad.
- Before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve the salad on the lettuce leaves on individual plates.