- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 4 cups
This recipe explains how to make simple yet authentic gravy from your roasted turkey.
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sherry, port or Madiera to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- After roasting the turkey, remove the roasting pan from under the bird.
- Remove and discard any accumulated fat from the pan, making sure to hold on to any juices or browned bits, by skimming off with a spoon.
- Place the pan over two burners set on medium heat, and then stir in the chicken stock or broth.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, scrape the pan with a spoon to loosen any browned pieces and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and the cornstarch until smooth and then add it to the roasting pan, whisking constantly to blend and then for one minute while cooking.
- Season the gravy with some sherry, port or Madiera to taste, and then with some salt and freshly ground pepper.