- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 10 min
- Serving: Makes about 2 cups
These pickled onions can be made in a flash. Stuff them into a sandwich pita or top on your favorite burger for a distinctively sharp addition of flavor and colorful flair.
- 1 large red onion, thinly vertically sliced
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 oregano sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Put the sliced onion into a 1 pint jar.
- Place the vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns and cumin seeds into a saucepan, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the sugar mixture into the jar with the onions and then add the oregano and the bay leaf.
- Once the onion mixture has cooled, cap and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.