- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 6
Quick Beef Stew has a bit of sour cream and paprika to kick up the flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups carrots, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 large potato, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Cut meat into 1/4 inch thick strips. On waxed paper, combine flour, salt and pepper; coat meat, reserving remaining flour mixture.
- In large skillet over medium-heat, melt shortening, brown meat well. Add carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, mushrooms, bay leaf and 3 cups water. Simmer, covered, over medium heat 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining flour mixture and cook until thickened slightly, stirring constantly. Stir sour cream and paprika into stew; heat but do not boil.