- Prep: 4 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Total: 5 hr 30 min
- Serving: 12
Enjoy this custardy creation during the holidays, or anytime!
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Stir 3/4 cup sugar and water to boiling in heavy saucepan over low heat. Once it boils, stop stirring and allow to boil until syrup is golden brown.
- Fill large baking dish halfway with hot water. Put 9" or 10" square glass baking dish in hot water until warm (to prevent cracking from hot syrup); dry completely.
- Pour syrup into dish, rotating to spread around bottom.
- Beat remainder of sugar and all other ingredients (except half-and-half and cream) until well blended.
- Beat in half-and-half and cream. Pour over syrup.
- Place dish in shallow roasting pan on oven rack. Pour very hot water into pan until 1 inch deep. Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours at 350F, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove dish from water; cool 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.