- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 32 min
- Total: 42 min
- Serving: 6
Smoky sausage, rich eggs and tender slices of potato baked to golden perfection give you a sumptuous incentive to rise and shine.
- 6 ounces chicken or turkey sausage, halved and cut into Â¼ inch slices*
- 1 (6 ounce) onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) waxy white potato, sliced very thin (about 1 Â½ cups)
- Â¾ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- Cook sausage in a 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned and heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove sausage from skillet using a slotted spoon and reserve on paper towels.
- Add onion, garlic and black pepper to skillet and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Take a moment to preheat oven broiler and adjust top rack 6 inches from heat.
- Add potatoes, using a spatula to evenly disburse onion mixture throughout.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes or so, as the skillet dries out, add Â¼ cup of the chicken broth to deglaze the bottom and steam the potatoes, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add more black pepper, if desired.
- Stir in browned sausage, combining well.
- Pour beaten eggs over potato mixture in skillet, giving a quick stir with the spatula to allow the egg to seep through ingredients.
- The potatoes and sausage should be well coated.
- Run a heatproof spatula around the inside edge of the skillet to release the egg mixture from the sides. Cook until edges and bottom are set, about 5 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler and cook until browned and slightly puffed with no egg puddles in the center, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Slide onto a large serving plate.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.