- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes about 32 latkes
This mouth-watering recipe for classic potato latkes may be enjoyed at dinner as a side dish, or before dinner as an appetizer.
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole egg, plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour or matzoh meal
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Grate potatoes and place in strainer or colander. Squeeze out as much moisture from potatoes as you can. In a large bowl, combine potatoes with all remaining ingredients, except oil.
- Heat about 1/4 cup oil in large frying pan until very hot. Drop 2 to 3 tablespoons of potato mixture into pan for each latke. Use back of spoon to flatten mixture so that each latke is about 3 inches in diameter.
- Fry over medium-high heat about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 250°F oven. Continue, using more oil if necessary for each batch. Serve hot with applesauce if desired.