- Prep: 1 hr 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Total: 3 hr
- Serving: Serves 4-6
Use a Dutch oven for this recipe and let the flavors meld together as it slowly cooks in the oven.
- 4 pounds chuck roast
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle of ale beer
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 heaping cup dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-heat and brown the meat on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add in the onions, thyme, bay leaf, and 2 pinches of salt and pepper to the pan, and cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beer, water and the bouillon cube and bring to a boil. Add the mushrooms and bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Place the beef back into the Dutch oven, cover and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the beef and boil the sauce for about 6 minutes until thick. Stir in the mustard and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Slice the beef and place on a platter. Spoon over the sauce and serve immediately.