- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 2 Servings
Portobello mushrooms are flat, dark open-capped mushrooms with a thick and meaty texture that make them the perfect substitute for meat. Serve this sauce over pasta, polenta or mashed potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) portobello mushroom, stem removed and sliced (2-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons dry red wine
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- Place the olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic, and sauté the mixture for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pan and simmer the mushroom sauce for 5 minutes before adding the tomatoes and oregano. Bring the mixture back to a simmer, cook for 2 minutes and then serve immediately.