- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Even the most loyal carnivore will cheat on their regular burger with this vegetarian treat! With each bite packing a punch of flavor, you won’t even miss the beef.
- 1/2 cup purchased pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijonnaise
- 4 extra large hamburger buns
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- olive oil
- roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and sliced into strips
- 4 cups watercress, escarole or arugula
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Prepare your barbecue or oven broiler.
- Mix the pesto and Dijonnaise in a bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir well.
- Cut hamburger buns in half and grill cut side down. Remove from grill and generously slather with pesto and Dijonnaise sauce.
- Clean mushrooms by wiping clean of any dirt or debris. Do not rinse. Remove stems and scrape out dark grills.
- Brush mushrooms on front and back with olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms on each side for no more than 5 minutes. Put 1 mushroom on each hamburger bun and top with cheese, peppers and watercress. Serve immediately.