- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 8 servings
These light and airy popovers are given a touch of aromatic citrus with the addition of finely grated lemon zest. Try using Meyer lemons for a more mild hint of zest.
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and brush a non-stick muffin tin with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Place the tin into the oven for 5 minutes to brown the butter.
- In the meantime, place the eggs, sugar and lemon zest into a bowl and whisk vigorously until blended. Add the milk and the remaining melted butter, and continue to whisk until combined. In a separate bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt together and then add to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is relatively smooth with small lumps.
- Fill the prepared muffin tin cups halfway-full with the batter and then place in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.