- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 20 min
- Serving: 12 Popovers
Serve these popovers for dinner instead of the classic bread roll with butter. You will need a popover pan for this recipe.
- 4 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1-1/2 heaping tablespoons salt
- 2 -1/4 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the popover pan in the oven to heat up as well.
- In a large saucepan, pour in the milk and gently heat on low until warm. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs with a fork and then slowly pour into the milk mixture while whisking continuously.
- In another bowl, sift the flour together with the salt and then add to the egg mixture, blending until smooth.
- Remove the popover tray from the oven and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each popover cup 3/4 full with the batter and then evenly top all the popovers with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 50 minutes, rotating the pan one half-turn after 15 minutes to ensure even cooking. Serve popovers immediately.