- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 4
Delicately poached salmon melts in your mouth as the unmistakable earthy essence of saffron piques your palate.
- 2 pinches of saffron threads*
- 1 cup 100% tomato juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Pinch or two of salt
- 4 (6 ounce) steaks of salmon, skinless
- In a large straight-sided saucepan that can hold the salmon steaks in a single layer, combine the saffron, tomato juice, lemon, lemon juice, bay leaves, peppercorns, and enough water to come half way up pan.
- If using a fish poacher, follow instruction in owner's manual.
- Bring to a boil on high heat then reduce heat to medium-low heat.
- Gently simmer ingredients for 5 minutes to marry and release their flavors.
- Add salmon to the pan and spoon liquid over steaks. Adjust heat so cooking liquid shows only slight movement but no bubbles.
- Cook uncovered until the salmon is firm and just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove fish with a slotted spatula.
- Season with black pepper, a pinch of salt, and some fresh chopped dill.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or even chilled.