- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 8
Excite your palate with this robust but simple vegetarian pizza. A nutty garbanzo spread takes the place of the traditional tomato sauce, topped with cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts. The Fontina cheese is melted underneath the toppings for a change but can also be sprinkled on last.
- One recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 10 to 15 sun-dried tomatoes (dry packed, not oil-packed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded Fontina or Mozzarella cheese
- 2 (6 ounce each) jars of marinated artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped
- Â½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- If using a pizza stone, preheat for 30 minutes to get stone to appropriate temperature.
- Roll dough into a 14 inch circle or fit into a 14 inch pizza pan sprayed with cooking spray or wiped with olive oil.
- If baking the pizza directly on a pizza stone, place dough on a pizza peel dusted with cornmeal.
- Form a rim to hold in the toppings.
- Place tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes to rehydrate tomatoes.
- Drain (reserve liquid) and coarsely chop.
- Puree garbanzo beans and garlic in a food processor or blender, adding just enough reserved liquid from the tomatoes (or water) to form a paste.
- Spread dough with the garbanzo bean puree and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Evenly top with sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- Bake 20 minutes or until dough is golden.
- Serve warm with a salad of mixed greens and olives