- Prep: 4 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 4 hr 10 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Pickled onions make a delicious topping for hot dogs, burgers and even sandwiches. Feel free to experiment with different types of vinegar.
- 1 sweet yellow onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- A few pinches of sea salt
- 2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the cider vinegar, white vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed and red pepper flakes into a bowl and whisk until mixture is blended and sugar and salt have completely dissolved.
- Add the onions to the vinegar mixture and stir to coat.
- Cover the bowl and allow the onions to marinate for 4 hours, stirring once every hour, and then drain the onions and place into a jar with a tightly-fitted lid.