- Prep: 24 hr 25 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 24 hr 30 min
- Serving: 8 servings
This works well as a simple and deliciously rustic appetizer. Serve with fresh peasant bread, a small bowl of high-quality extra virgin olive oil and a bottle of Merlot.
- 6 baby or 3 large eggplants, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise into ribbons
- 1 cup coarse sea salt
- 6 hot peppers, finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups vinegarv
- Put the eggplant in a colander and thickly layer with the 1 cup of salt. Place a plate on top of the eggplant and then weigh the plate down with a can. Let the eggplant drain for 24 hours.
- Rinse the eggplant with water and then place on a clean towel to absorb some of the moisture.
- In the meantime, place 2 cups of vinegar and 4 cups of water into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the eggplant and remove the pot from the heat. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes before straining and squeezing out any excess moisture from the eggplant.
- Transfer the eggplant to a bowl with the garlic, peppers and 2 teaspoons of salt. Drizzle in some olive oil and then toss the mixture to coat.