- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Trapanese Pesto is just like classic pesto but with the addition of tomatoes. Use fresh, sweet and juicy tomatoes for this delicious Italian recipe.
- 3/4 pound penne rigate pasta
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, ripe and sweet
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted almonds
- 1-1/2 large garlic cloves, crushed and peeled\1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente, drain and place pasta into a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, wash off the tomatoes and basil and dry with paper towels.
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and place in a food processor along with the basil, almonds, garlic, red pepper and salt. Process the mixture until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- With the food processor on, pour the olive oil down the flute in a steady stream.
- Transfer the pesto to the bowl with the warm pasta and toss to coat pasta. Sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss again to mix ingredients. Serve immediately.