- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Serves 2
Fennel has a unique anise flavor that pairs beautifully with tomato and crumbled blue cheese. Savor this dish with an American Sauvignon Blanc and enjoy a perfect meal for two.
- 2 cups penne
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cups tomato puree
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- Cook pasta al dente according to directions on package; set aside and keep warm.
- Cut the fennel bulb in half and remove the hard core and root. Thinly slice the fennel and cut into strips.
- In a small sauté pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the fennel and shallot over high heat for 3 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato puree, sugar and oregano. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese and serve immediately.