- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 22 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The incorporation of pumpkin puree in this delicious pasta sauce makes a creamy and slightly sweet addition that melds beautifully with the fresh sage, garlic and shallots. Serve with a bottle of American Chardonnay or an American Riesling.
- 1 pound uncooked penne
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 fresh whole sage leaves
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple cider
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (no added seasonings)
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, crushed
- Cook the penne ‘al dente’ according to package directions, drain and then return to the pot.
- In the meantime, place the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once frothy, add the shallot, stir to coat in the butter and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sage leaves to the pan and cook the mixture for 1 minute before pouring in the wine and cooking until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes and then remove and discard the sage leaves. Slowly add the pumpkin puree, whisking well to combine, and then add the cream and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the hot pasta; add the nutmeg, a few pinches of salt and pepper, the remaining cheese and the nuts, and toss the mixture well to combine. Serve immediately.