- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Hot penne pasta is tossed with a sweet and savory mix of caramelized onions and mushrooms, and then sprinkled with fresh Parmesan cheese in this delicious dinner dish.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, cleaned stems removed and sliced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil plus 1-1/2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley leaves
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Place a stainless steel sauté pan over medium heat, and then add 1 tablespoon oil and the butter. Once the butter has melted, whisk the mixture to combine and then add the diced onions. Toss the onions to coat in the butter mixture and then sauté over medium-low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, stir to combine and then cook for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the mushroom and onion mixture with a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and then return to the pot. Drizzle the pasta with the remaining oil and then toss to coat. Add the mushroom mixture and the parsley to the pasta, toss to combine and then serve garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.