- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: Makes 4 servings
Broccoli rabe is a highly nutritious, dark green vegetable with a bitter, spicy taste that is popular in Italian and Chinese cuisine.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, rinsed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, sliced
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package directions; drain and reserve in same pot.
- Meanwhile, blanch broccoli rabe in a pot of boiling, salted water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain (saving 1 cup of the cooking liquid) and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and sauté garlic and sausage until sausage is cooked through. Pour the saved water from the broccoli rabe into the skillet with the sausage.
- Add the sausage mixture into the pot with the pasta and add the broccoli rabe. Season to taste with salt. Cook, stirring gently, until heated through.
- Spoon pasta into bowls and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.