- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Serves 8
While you're loading up on farmers' market beets, hold on to those leafy beet tops. High in vitamins A and K, antioxidants, and other potent phytonutrients, beet greens can be sautéed, braised, and stirred into soups.
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bunch beet greens, washed, ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add prosciutto and shallots and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add beet greens, tossing to coat, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking water. Place pasta back in pot and add beet green mixture; tossing to coat. Moisten with reserved pasta water.
- Serve pasta garnished with walnuts and Parmesan.