- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 22 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This simple spring dish combines ‘al dente’ penne pasta with fresh asparagus, sweet peas, chopped fresh sage and a touch of cream. Accompany this meal with a glass of French Chablis or American Chardonnay.
- 1/2 pound penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound thick asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the penne ‘al dente’ according to package directions and drain.
- Place the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and sauté the garlic and asparagus for 3 minutes. Pour in the stock and boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Stir the peas and the cream into the mixture and boil for 3 minutes, then add the prepared pasta and cook until heated through.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add a few pinches of salt and pepper, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the butter and the sage and stir well to combine. Serve immediately topped with the remaining cheese.