- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Use either sweet or spicy Italian pork sausage for this flavorful and hearty dish. Serve with a bottle of Chianti Classico or an Italian Pinot Grigio.
Photo originally appeared on womansday.com
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 12 ounces fresh sweet or hot Italian pork sausages, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (2-ounces) crushed tomatoes with basil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, return to pot and cover to keep warm.
- In the meantime, place the sausage into a large sauté pan and cook over medium heat until browned. Crumble with a wooden spoon and then transfer to a plate.
- Place the olive oil into the pan along with the pepper s and onion. Sauté the mixture for 5 minutes and then add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Return the sausage to the pan and then add the tomatoes and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer; cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the hot pasta, toss to combine and then serve immediately.