- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
Feel free to use any pasta of your choice for this recipe but penne is strongly recommended as it “holds the sauce” better than other pasta varieties.
- 1 pound penne rigate (penne with ridges) pasta
- 1 pound thin asparagus, ends trimmed, spears cut in 1/2-in.-long pieces
- 12 ounces chicken tenders, cut diagonally in 1/2-in.-wide strips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (16 oz) Alfredo sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large tomato, halved, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Finely shredded lemon peel to garnish
- Cook the penne ‘al dente’ according to package directions, but add the asparagus to the pot during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and place the pasta mixture back into the pot.
- In the meantime, sprinkle the chicken on both sides with salt and then lightly coat with flour.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes, flipping once.
- Stir in the Alfredo sauce, lemon peel, juice and cheese and then bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes and then pour the sauce over the pasta along with the tomato, chives and a few grinds of fresh pepper.
- Toss to coat and then serve immediately garnished with some shredded lemon peel.