- Prep: 1 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 1 hr 27 min
- Serving: Makes about 10 dozen cookies
These elegant gingersnap cookies garnished with pecan halves are soft and chewy in texture, and spicy and sweet in taste. Serve them to accompany hot tea or coffee.
- 1-1/2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 -1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sugar, for rolling cookies in
- Pecan halves
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl. Beat the mixture until light and fluffy, and then add the molasses and the eggs. Continue to beat the mixture to combine and then sift in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves, ginger, allspice and pepper. Beat well and then cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once chilled, form the dough into small balls and then roll in sugar until coated. Place 1 pecan half onto each ball of dough, pushing to adhere, and then place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.