- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 16 min
- Total: 26 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The sweet and mild taste of tender peas is the perfect backdrop and contrast to the salty bacon, sharp shallots and fresh mint in this satisfying side dish. Serve in place of traditional, plain steamed peas.
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1/2 c coarsely chopped shallots
- 2-1/2 cups shelled fresh English peas (from 2 pounds unshelled English pea pods)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat for 6 minutes until crispy and then transfer to some paper towels to drain.
- Place the shallots into the same pan and sauté for 2 minutes over medium heat before adding the peas and cooking for an additional 8 minutes.
- Return the bacon back to the pan and add the fresh mint and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss the mixture well to combine and then serve immediately