- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 12 min
- Total: 1 hr 27 min
- Serving: 8
Peas Porridge is a rich and satisfy soup made with yellow split peas and flavored with tangy fresh ginger.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup each chopped: onion, carrot, celery
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- olive oil
- lemon wedges
- Warm butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add carrot, onion, celery, ginger and garlic. Season with cardamon, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables soften, about 12 minutes. Stir in peas.
- Pour in broth. Heat to boiling and skim foam from surface. Lower to a simmer and cook until thick and creamy. Add more liquid if need and stir occasionally. This will take approximately 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.