- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 8
Every cuisine has a version of a turnoverÂ—a pastry filled with fruit, ground meats, roasted vegetables, or a combination of the three. Fruit filled turnovers are well known desserts but pastry dough filled with savory ingredients make wonderful meals.
- 1 cup whole wheat pasty flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- Sift flours and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in oil and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add water and bring mixture into a smooth dough, adding a bit more water if necessary.
- Dough should feel tacky but not slick.
- If you add too much water, sprinkle in a bit more flour.
- Dump dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes and forming it into a ball.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or slip it into a lightly oiled ziplock bag and seal.
- Set aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Then add your favorite filling and bake at 375 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until pastry is browned.