- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 8
A hearty main course that partners well with a crisp green salad and glass of red wine.
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe (or chopped broccoli florets
- 1 pound dry penne
- 2 tablepsoons olive oil
- 4 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, remove casing
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash and drain the broccoli rabe or broccoli and set aside.
- Cook penne to al dente according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep, heavy skillet with a fitted lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and garlic and cook, stirring, until sausage is browned.
- Add the broccoli rabe or broccoli, generous pinch of salt, and pepper flakes.
- Cover skillet and steam for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender.
- Add chicken stock, and cook over high heat, uncovered, about 3 minutes until the liquids are slightly reduced.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and toss gently.
- Sprinkle on 1/4 cup of the cheese and toss again. Serve immediately sprinkled with the remaining cheese and season with black pepper to taste.