- Prep: 2 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 2 hr 25 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
An Italian classic, enjoy rich and hearty Puttanesca sauce made with fresh ripe tomatoes. Serve with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or Sangiovese.
- 2 cups roughly chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound linguine
- Place the tomatoes, oil, garlic, olives, capers, anchovies, half the basil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper into a large bowl. Mash the mixture, using a large fork or a potato masher, until thick and chunky and well combined. Cover the sauce and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature to allow flavors to blend.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and return to the pot.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle in any additional salt and pepper to taste and toss once more.
- Serve immediately topped with the remaining basil.