- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 40 min
- Serving: 6-8
This delicious vegetarian casserole recipe for Parmesan shells with sundried tomatoes and spinach is a light pasta dish perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. You can even make the casserole up to a day in advance and just pop it in the oven when you need a quick meal.
- 8-ounces medium pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8-ounce jar sundried tomatoes, julienne cut
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 9-ounce package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces packaged or fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the shells and cook until the pasta is still firm and slightly undercooked, about 6 minutes. (The pasta will continue to cook in the casserole.) Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Cook the onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Add the sundried tomatoes and the red pepper flakes to the pan. Mix to combine. Cool slightly. Season to taste with the salt.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sauce, shells, uncooked spinach, mozzarella, and 1-ounce of the Parmesan cheese. Adjust seasonings to taste. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake until the shells are cooked through and all of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Run the casserole under a hot broiler for 1- to 2-minutes for a crispy top.
- Note: Casserole may be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day before baking.