- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Serves 8 people
Originally created to use up leftovers, Panzanella (Bread Salad) is a delicious salad that is almost a meal.
- 5 cups of 1-inch whole wheat bread cubes
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large, ripe tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup of shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slightly toast the bread on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley and salt. Fold in the bread, tomatoes, onion, olives and basil.
- Toss the salad mixture together with the parmesan cheese.