- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr
- Total: 2 hr 30 min
- Serving: 6
A classic Italian dish, Osso Buco is made with veal shanks.
- 6 pounds veal shanks, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1, 29 ounce can tomatoes, cut up and reserve juice
- 1, 13 3/4 ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in hot oil, brown veal well on all sides, half at a time; remove to large bowl. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic to Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Return meat to Dutch oven. Add tomatoes and juice and remaining ingredients except parsley and lemon peel. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is fork tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve on platter; sprinkle with parsley and lemon peel.