- Prep: 3 hr 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 4 hr 30 min
- Serving: 16
Orange Oatmeal Bread is a flavorful, hearty treat for breakfast.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 10 cups flour (1/2 wheat and 1/2 white)
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 2 cups raisins
- In a small cup, sprinkle yeast over warm water; stir until dissolved, and set aside. Scald milk and pour over oatmeal and butter in large mixing bowl. Let stand 1/2 hour.
- Add orange juice, molasses, salt, sugar, raisins and dissolved yeast mixture to oats. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead 10 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise until double in bulk, usually about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from bowl and knead several minutes.
- Shape into 3 loaves and place in 3 greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double (about 2 hours).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on top. Cool.