- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 9 min
- Total: 19 min
- Serving: 4
The fresh orange zest give the filets a whole new favor.
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (1 1/4-inch-thick) filets mignons (beef tenderloin steaks; about 7 oz each)
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 500Â°F.
- Stir together bread crumbs, fennel seeds, zest, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl until combined well.
- Pat steaks dry, then sprinkle all over with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sear steaks until browned well on bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and turn steaks over with a spatula.
- Spread top of each steak with 1 teaspoon mustard, then sprinkle evenly with bread crumb mixture.
- Transfer skillet to oven and roast steaks, without turning over, 5 minutes for medium-rare.