- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 8 People
Caramelized onions and mushrooms give this soup a depth of flavor without a heft of fat or calories.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 pound sliced wild mushrooms (or button mushrooms, if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of beef low sodium broth
- 1/2 cup of dry vermouth
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices of toasted whole grain bread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded shaved Jarlsberg cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes; add rosemary and sugar and continue to cook, stirring often, until well browned, about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; add broth, vermouth, and bay leaf; bring to a low boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; discard the bay leaf.
- Put oven on broil. Ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls. Cover soup with the toast and sprinkle with cheese; put under the broiler until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.