- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: 6
One Dish Wonder Tamale Pie is filled with savory ground beef and topped with a golden cornmeal crust.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1, 2.25 ounce ripe olives, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups yellow corn meal
- 1, 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1, 4 ounce can green chiles, diced
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, sliced
- For Filling: Cook beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn, olives and half the salt.
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 12 by 8 inch baking dish. Combine corn meal, water, evaporated milk and remaining salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chiles. Reserve 2 cups corn meal mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Spread remaining corn meal mixture on bottom and up sides of prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool in dish on wire rack. Spoon beef filling into corn meal crust. Spread reserved corn meal mixture over beef filling.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with jalapenos.