- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
Old fashioned pound cake recipe. Great topped with fresh berries and cream.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix together the sugar and shortening until fluffy in a large bowl. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Mix in the lemon extract.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Alternately add into the sugar mixture with the buttermilk.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 10 minutes.