- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 18
This is a healthy breakfast for on the run mornings.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
- 2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk plus additional for brushing
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Sift together flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a food processor.
- Add 1 1/3 cups oats and pulse 15 times.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size lumps.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until a dough just forms.
- Gently knead on a floured surface 6 times.
- Pat into a 9-inch square (1/2 inch thick).
- Cut into 9 (3-inch) squares. Cut each square diagonally to form 2 triangles.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and oats.
- Bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes.