- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 8
By far, this is my favorite pizza, a beckoning treat of varied tastes and textures. The honey and apple imbue a sweet-tart tenderness that compliments the sharp richness of the cheddar. A crisp crust and toasty walnuts add first a contrasting crunch that softens to a satisfying chewiness.
- One recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 Â¼ pounds pippin or granny smith apple, cored, very thinly sliced
- Juice of one lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- Â½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch or two black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 ounces chopped walnuts (about a Â½ cup)
- 6 ounces of cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 Â½ cups)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- If using a pizza stone, preheat for at least 30 minutes to get stone to appropriate temperature.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle or fit into a 14-inch pizza pan sprayed with cooking spray or wiped with olive oil.
- If baking the pizza directly on a pizza stone, place dough on a pizza peel dusted with cornmeal.
- Form a rim to hold in the toppings.
- Place apple slices in a bowl and toss with lemon, cinnamon, black pepper and salt.
- Place honey in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 20 seconds to warm.
- Warm honey is easier to pour.
- Drizzle honey over the crust.
- Evenly spread apple slices in a single layer on the crust, overlapping if needed.
- Sprinkle on chopped walnuts and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and the crust is lightly browned.
- Let cool slightly before cutting.