- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The addition of mussels in this hearty stew makes it both delicious and surprisingly light. Serve with some crusty peasant bread.
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Thai or other small red chile, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Place the mussels, sherry and wine in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover the mixture and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Take the mussels out of the pan with a slotted spoon, discarding any that did not open, and remove the mussels from their shells.
- Strain the broth and set aside.
- Place the oil in a clean saucepan over medium heat, and then add the garlic and the chile. Cook for 1 minute and then add the beans, broth and a few sprinkles of salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the mussels and the parsley and cook until heated through. Serve immediately.