- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 2 Servings
Serve these mussels, steamed in a delicious and fragrant beer, thyme, garlic, shallot, orange and lemon sauce, with chunks of crusty peasant bread to soak up all of the scrumptious juices.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, gently bashed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and cleaned
- 1 pint of pale ale beer
- Juice and zest from half an orange
- Juice and zest from half a lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the oil into a large pot over medium heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the shallots, garlic and thyme and sauté the mixture for 2 minutes before stirring in the mussels and increasing the heat to high.
- Add the beer, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lemon zest and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir the mixture well, cover and cook for 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mussels to a bowl and then bring the remaining liquid to a rolling boil; cook for 4 minutes. Stir the butter into the sauce and then season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the mussels and serve immediately.