- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This simple dish made with dried morel mushrooms, Italian sausage, shiitake caps and water chestnuts is rich and flavorful. Serve topped over mashed potatoes or polenta, and with a bottle of Zinfandel.
- 1 cup dried morel mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet Italian sausages
- 1/2 pound shiitake caps, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 thinly sliced shallots
- 6 water chestnuts, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Place the morel mushrooms into a bowl, add the boiling water and then soak for 10 minutes until soft. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid, and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the sausage and brown on all sides. Remove the sausage from the pan and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices once cool enough to handle.
- Put the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the pan and then add the shiitake caps. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper and then cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the shallots and morel mushrooms, cover the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the water chestnuts, reserved morel liquid and sliced sausage into the pan and cook for 3 minutes before adding the tomato paste.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter, parsley and some salt and pepper to taste; stir the mixture well to combine and then serve immediately.