- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 25 min
- Serving: 6
Mushroom and Leek Soup is made with white mushrooms. Add wild mushrooms like chanterelles and shiitake if available.
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small baked potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium low heat. Add onion, leek, celery and potato. Cover and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to skillet and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add 4 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to blender, in batches, and puree. Strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan. Add remaining butter and cream and heat gently until butter melts. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.