- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
The earthy flavor of mushroom blends well with the creamy and nutty flavor of cashews in this satisfying soup.
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- Place the cashews and the 1/2 cup of water into a food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place the oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat and add the garlic, onion, salt and red pepper flakes. Sauté the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Add 3/4 of the portabellas and 3/4 of the shiitakes to the pot and sauté over medium-heat for 3 minutes, and then add the broth, cashew mixture and 2 tablespoons of parsley.
- Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes and then remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender.
- Add the remaining mushrooms and parsley. Simmer the soup for 12 more minutes and then serve warm.