- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: About 7 cups
Although there are many variations to Mulligatawny Soup, most are made with curry and thickened with rice.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup diced apples
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrot and celery for 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and curry powder and then pour in the broth and add the bay leaf. Cook the mixture for 3 minutes, stirring to mix.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the apples, rice, chicken, thyme, lemon zest and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and then simmer for 15 additional minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and then stir in the coconut milk. Heat through and serve immediately.