- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 5
Thick, delicious and nutritious, especially in the winter!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In large pot saute; the onions, garlic, and ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the water, lentils, chick peas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper and cumin. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer, until the lentils are soft.
- Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir and enjoy!