- Prep: 40 min
- Cook Time: 21 min
- Total: 1 hr 1 min
- Serving: 12 Deviled Egg Halves
Always a crowd pleaser, this traditional appetizer should be a staple on your hors d'oeuvres table. To add a modern twist, garnish with a teaspoon of crème fraiche and a bit of caviar.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 ounces crème fraiche
- 1 small jar caviar
- Place the eggs in a large saucepan and cover eggs with water by at least 2-inches. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cover the pan for 30 seconds.
- Take the pan off the heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Take the eggs out of the hot water and transfer to a bowl of cold water. Leave for 5 minutes and then peel eggs.
- Cut the eggs in half with a sharp knife and carefully remove the yolks and place into a clean bowl.
- Mash the yolks with a fork along with the mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper until smooth.
- If available, fill a pastry bag with the egg yolk mixture and pipe into the egg whites. Otherwise, carefully spoon mixture into the egg whites and smooth off the top. Garnish with a teaspoon of crème fraiche and a bit of caviar.